Friday, June 6, 2008

Corked wine and wowed by an Oloroso (Sherry)


Yesterday for the first time I tasted what a wine is like when it is slightly corked. This wine wasn’t undrinkable and in fact to me initially it just tasted very austere and dry. Upon further inspection, by that I mean someone pointing it out to me, I realized that it was starting to turn. It had a slightly cardboard flavor and reminded me of the smell of wet fur. I won’t say what the wine was but it was a red wine from along the River Duero in Spain.

A wine being corked is a term that refers to a set of undesirable smells and tastes that is only detected when the wine is opened. The presence of 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA) is usually found in a bottle of wine with these smells and tastes. It is not known why a particular wine becomes corked and therefore not predictable.

After that I had the pleasure of tasting a Matusalem Oloroso Dulce Muy Viejo, a sweet 25 year aged Sherry from Spain. Full bodied wine, dark brown in color almost like that of light maple syrup. It left a coffee flavor in my mouth and throughout tasted of Maple Syrup, Coffee, Roasted Nuts, and Caramel. It was a really good dessert Sherry.

No comments: